Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Surf's Up at Delray Beach












Cape Hatteras Lighthouse - 4th of July weekend 1969


With the Tropical Low off shore, it kicked up the surf to California style waves. It was the perfect day! I was really flashing back to 1969 - Me, Rusak, Walden, Kahoona, Twombly, Casey Cash, Davis & Rayfield - I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The Surf was incredible! Susan and I stood on the beach watching and photographing the new generation of surfers - short boards, with leashes - every once in a while a Long board would pass by - I was stoked! My surfer knots were rising - i could smell the surf wax - and for a moment . . . I was there.

Kowabunga -

2 comments:

KATHRYN said...

Wow! Those waves look awesome! I heard there was a tropical depression going on down there, but it seems to be winding down now. Watching the waves always mesmerizes me. How about we trade backyards for a while? Miss you guys! Hope to make it down there to see you in the near future.

Carolyn said...

Do you still have the Richmond newspaper article that spotlighted you and Bobby Walden winter surfing back in the 60's? I would love to see that again along with the photo of you two. If you have it, please scan it and send it.