Friday, May 18, 2007

For those who like Sushi

Susan and I have at least 20+ restaurants and bars within walking distance. Mary can attest to this! One of my favorite appetizers that I've experienced here has been a Tuna Tartare dish. I've had it at 2 different places and set out to discover the recipe, in order to make this wonderful dish myself. Well, Voila - I finally put it together with the help of a waitress at a restaurant called Dada's. I felt that it was my duty to post this on the blog in hopes that you will enjoy it as much as I do.












Tuna Tartar a la Wayne

Tuna Marinade: In a mixing bowl put 2/1 of Olive Oil (now that I look back I might try Sesame Oil next time) and Soy Sauce. Add a pinch of Black Sesame Seeds. Mix with a whisk. Dice up small (1/4 inch pieces ) of Sashimi grade Tuna. Marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour.


Chop and dice up Jicama sometimes called the Mexican Potato
– same amount as the Tuna. In another bowl mix the juice from 2 Key Limes and 2 ripe Avocados into a thick paste.
In another bowl, mix Wasabi powder, and water to make a Wasabi paste. Add Mayo to make a nice Moose consistency.

Put it all together:

In some type of tapered form, take the Jicama and swish it around in the same Marinade to give it a bonding – put this in the form as the first layer (top) – then take the tuna and make the next layer – then another layer of Jicama – then finish it off with Tuna. Turn upside down on plate and tap – remove the form.

With a spatula, smooth on a topping of the Avocado paste – top with the Wasabi using a pastry squirter thingy. (large decorative opening). Great with a glass of Chardonnay – or light beer (Susan discovered a "loaded Corona" on Cinco de Mayo - at a bar called "Falcon House" - "loaded Corona: put a shot of tequila in the top of a Corona and turn it upside down to mix it).
Bon appetit!

5 comments:

My Pic Mania said...

Oh my gosh, I love that picture of you Wayne! So the recipe looks and sounds fantastic... I'll definitely be trying it! My personal chef cooks for me at night but no fish in view...

Billy said...

A spicy and colorful thought on a chilly, rainy Richmond day....

Florida Susan said...

Vickie!! So happy your personal chef has arrived from Germany! Give him a hug from us. Maybe he'll do a similar dish with meat and potatoes ; ) He is a great cook, I remember a caprese salad he made at one of your parties...yummo

KATHRYN said...

Sounds like a lot of preparation to me, and I'm sure I couldn't make it as well as Chef Wayne, so I'll wait to try it from the Chef. But I do like ths sound of the loaded Corona . . . sounds worth trying!

Carolyn said...

I also love the Chef Wayne photo!
I'll also have one of those loaded Coronas with Kathy while we watch Chef Wayne prepare this lovely concoction!

Vickie, you and your personal chef have a good weekend. Tell him hello and we'll see him June 2nd.