Tuesday, April 15, 2008

You say it's your Birthday . . .








Susan and I flew back to Virginia - to Highland Springs, to be with my Mom, Mildred Louise Poole Baker, aka "Millie". 84 years on the planet - Her Birthday wish was for the family to order out Chinese food. So, we did. It was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon of April 9, 2008 - Chicken Chow Mien, yellow-with blue and green stripes oil cloth over the table, uneven table top from years of elbows pressing down eating Mama's fried chicken or corn on the cob, fly swatter on top of the fridge, a sand painting of a deer from a souvenir shop in Arizona, coffee mug circa 1964 - Order of the Arrow-BSA, sterling silver flatware case, Flinstone collectable jam jars that have become drinking glasses, ceramic pot I made in 1971, plaque with some seeds suspended in clear resin, a dish towel hanging over the sink, tier country curtains on the kitchen window, Peterson Bird Book next to the lazy Susan in the middle of the table, marks on the paneling over the door from Lauren and Carly's Johnny Jump up, bathroom door always ajar, you can almost hear WRVA's Alden Aaroe on the radio that sits on the hot water heater, or Doris Day singing in the background. Happy Birthday Mama. We love you.

5 comments:

Nathan Arizona said...

Happy Birthday Millie!!! I always had fun going over and visiting Millie. I will always remember smelling the wonderful Moonflower bush in her yard. She would never let Wayne come out in the yard and play. But he was split up the middle from surgery so I'll let it slide! :) I'm Sure she was so glad to have you all there! Hope everyone is enjoying their Spring. Look forward to seeing Yuns!

My Pic Mania said...

Happy Birthday Millie! What about the b-day cake? No b-day cake and candles at all? Well it was awesome hanging out with you guys.
I wish I could fly down again NOW!
Luv,
~ Vickie ~

Florida Wayne said...

Wow, I'd forgotton about the moonflower, Nate - Vickie, there was a cake - that's why Mama's mouth looks so funny in the picture - it's full of cake! No candles by order of the Fire Marshall. Miss you both.
Wayne

My Pic Mania said...

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL she looks fabulous. I love the pic from the beach too. It's amazing how she actually still looks the same! She kept that little smile. Did she give half of the cake to her 4-legged fluffy thing? Well Saturday is supposed to be really nice... I think I'm gonna have to hit the water with my yak for the first time of the season! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Carolyn said...

Wow, Wayne Alan, you really captured the moment! I can just feel the warm (too warm) house and the fuzzy, funny, wholesome feeling. What a good childhood we had - even though there were major obstacles. So glad we had each other to jump over them and keep on laughing!