Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Historic Angler's Hotel & Joe's Stone Crabs












Built in the 1930's, the Anglers Hotel is one of the Mediterranean Revival buildings in the Deco district of Miami's South Beach. The Angler's Hotel takes its place in Miami History, as one of the really upscale hotels. Frequented in the past by Ernest Hemingway among others, the Angler's served travelers who came to South Beach. Susan booked us a room at this historic hotel, 3 blocks from the beach and 5 blocks from one of our favorite restaurants: Joe's Stone Crabs. I've had Joe's Stone Crabs about 5 times and I can't get enough!! Our niece, Catharine Irvin gave us a gift certificate to Joe's for Christmas.
Catharine grew up in Miami. The entire Irvin clan loves Joe's Stone Crabs. The restaurant began in 1913 when Joe Weiss opened up a small lunch counter on Miami Beach. They were serving crawfish at the time. One day, a man with a sack of Stone Crabs came by and asked if they wanted to buy the crabs. Joe said, what do you do with them? Well, you throw them in hot water and cook them alive. Joe did, and made some hash browns and cole slaw as side orders. History was made. The first time I ever had Joe's stone crabs, was at Susan's Dad's house in Richmond. He had them flown up from Joe's for Susan's Birthday. Having grown up with the Chesapeake Blue crab, I couldn't believe how much meat there is on this Dungenous cousin. Susan and I ordered a traditional meal at Joe's, complete with hash browns and coleslaw. Then, we walked along the ocean avenue people watching as we made our way back to the hotel.
Side Bar: Maison d'Azur
Susan and I made it back to the Hotel and went to the bar at the restaurant in the Angler. The Maison d'Azur is a french restaurant - all of the staff are from France. As we sipped a glass of wine, we heard someone yelling, "Gwen Wayne" "Gwen Wayne". Then, the Chef came up to me and said, is your name Gwen Wayne? I said no, but, my first name is Wayne. He introduced himself and said that his first name was Gwen - and if someone else had that name, they must be from his home in Bretagne.
I told him that we had visited Bretagne and somehow in the conversation, told him of a photo I took with Vickie, of a small sailing class - he was so excited for he had learned to sail there in those tiny boats. He reminisced for a while and then was going to check on the kitchen - Susan asked if they had a cheese plate for dessert like we had in France - he said no, but, he would make us one. Soon he came out with this amazing platter of goat cheese, Parmesan, Roquefort and a beautiful presentation of spring greens. after a few glasses of really good wine and the wonderful cheese platter, I asked for the check - the bartender said that the Chef had taken care of the check. When we returned home, I sent him the photo and pledged to return to dine in his restaurant. Oh, did I mention that he flies all of his seafood in from Concarneau - yep, that's right Vickie! Fresh seafood from your hometown.

4 comments:

My Pic Mania said...

NO WAY! You always end up meeting people from my home town! That's definitely a spot I'll have to visit too next time I come down! I'm not surprised though, Bretons are travelers. But shipping the seafood from home? That's awesome... I can't wait to go in July and feast off of all my favorite foods! I'll easily gain 10lb but what the heck...

Carolyn said...

Yes, the world has no strangers to my brother! I wish I could have been there. I love south Miami! We stayed in a shabby, but fantastic old hotel there prior to our Key West journey. I missed the topless woman, which Jim & the girls did not, by looking at a homeless guy sleeping in winter clothes on the beach.

Do stone crabs taste the same as blue crabs?

Florida Wayne said...

Stone crabs taste more like the Alaskan King, but, much thicker and solid. You only eat the claws which have been cracked for you before they come to the table. They are really delicious! The season is over until the fall - that was our last Stone Crab for a while.

My Pic Mania said...

LOL no you don't eat only the claws if you are from Brittany... We eat all the meat we can find in it. LOL The snow crabs are delicious, I can't agree more! Just a few more weeks before I feast off of them and langoustines! Yummmmmmmmy! I'll take pictures...
Luv,
Vickie.